Friday, January 2, 2015

Gone Girl Film Review

6 STARS (out of 5)

David Fincher's Gone Girl will be released on DvD on January 13, 2015. There are a multitude of reasons why you should own this film. Personally out of a 5 start scale this movies most definitely deserves 6 stars. Here are the top 3 reasons why I give it that ball busting rating:

Reason # 1: David Fincher's Style couldn't be better

You see the dad's facial expression? That's how I looked the entire movie.
David Fincher has etched out his style in his previous movies, particularly in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but in Gone Girl his style is on a whole new level. Right from the get go your launched into an all to familiar rich dark world. Many of the shots are beautiful but one stands out the most. There is a flashback that centers around the day Nick(Ben Affleck) and Amy(Rosamund Pike) first met, they come across a sugar truck that is in the middle of unpacking their sugar to a local restaurant. Some of the sugar spreads into the air making a soft mist throughout the alleyway. The mist combined with the lighting on top of the fantastically antique looking alleyway can hardly be described in words. 
Oh there it is.
There are many more beautiful scenes, especially in Desi Collings (Neil Patrick Harris) house...but I can't elaborate on that because this is, so far, a spoil free review.

Reason # 2: The Engrossing Plot

You'll also have the "wtf is going on" face.
I can't really say much about the plot without spoilers so I'm just going to say this: it's twisty. Usually David Fincher movies are twisty as fuck but this one so far takes the cake. You don't really know what to think until 75% of the movie is over and even at that point I don't think you'll be able to make any where near a accurate prediction of what's going to happen.

Reason #3: Ben Affleck and Rosmand Pike are on their A-Game

Mmmm baby you hear that Oscar nomination?

Never have I seen two actors have so much chemistry and then in the same movie hate each other so much that they would murder their beloved if they had a chance. Ben Affleck plays his character to such a ridiculous level of relatability that I could pretty much envision myself on the screen going through the exact same motions; while Rosmand I didn't like at first( I don't like the way she speaks, I don't know why) by the end of the film she proves that she fulfills every aspect of her complex character to a tee. Everyone else in this film is phenomenal too, although I had to take some getting use to Neil Patrick Harris not being a funny guy but his performance proved to win me over.

Reason #4: The Theme: What is Marriage and is it Meant to Last?

Oh they'll hate each other soon enough.

Gone Girl successfully conveys questions of the idea of marriage and it's legitimacy in life like no other film I've seen thus far. The questions that can be extracted from this film range from What is marriage? to How should a Marriage work? to Is marriage a good idea in the first place? The film will definitley have you and your friends debating the complexities of intimate relationships maybe even resulting in some unexpected conclusions.

Last but not least (SPOILER ALERT!): 

There have been many search inquiries of "What happens at the end of Gone Girl?" on Google. How do I know this? Because whenever I type "What happens at the end....." it pops up. I don't know about other people but the ending seemed pretty straight forward to me. Nick got screwed over by Amy and he's forced to live in a marriage driven by fear depressingly ever after; well until he poisons her oatmeal or something. I understand that the movie is based off of a book and am looking forward to reading the book in the near future. Hopefully the ending of the book can clarify why the ending is so abudantly searched.

If you have an opinion of the ending comment below! or Tell me how you liked the review! or If the book is better than the movie! or If you like the movie at all! or Just find some excuse to leave a comment!





No comments:

Post a Comment